Thursday, February 11, 2010

How can I create a crackle paint texture on the surface of a mirror?

I have some centerpiece mirrors that I would like to make more ';antique-looking'; by creating a gold (or maybe black) crackle finish on their surfaces. I've seen a lot of crackle paint products online and in craft stores, but I have a couple of concerns about the execution of my idea. (I need them for my wedding this weekend, so I’m running out of time to experiment!)





Question #1: Are any of these products meant to be used on glass? I am worried the paint might chip or peel off too easily.





Question #2: The examples of crackle paint I have seen in the past have always involved covering an entire surface with a base layer and then adding a “crackle” layer on top of it. How can I create a crackle texture without covering up very much of the mirror’s original surface? (I guess you could say that I’m trying to paint the cracks in the paint, rather than the cracked paint itself… so perhaps using crackle paint isn’t the best solution here.)





Because of time constraints, I can’t really order any specialty items online, so I’m definitely hoping to find a solution that is available at a local craft or hardware store.





I am open to any ideas, or alternative suggestions you may have!





Thank you.


How can I create a crackle paint texture on the surface of a mirror?
Go to Michaels and ask an expert there!

No comments:

Post a Comment