Thursday, February 11, 2010

How do I paint over crackle paint?

I painted a wall with crackle paint. Needless to say, it did not come out as I dreamed it would... Well, now I am stuck with light crackling in certain spots, heavy crackling in other spots and virtually none in some! Help me! To add insult to injury, the color of the wall is Chocolate brown!!!!How do I paint over crackle paint?
sand the wall with 150 grit sandpaper to lightly rough up the surface then skim coat the wall with drywall mud ,sand the mud so you have a nice even coat ,prime the wall and re paint with two coats of topcoat paint.....painting contractor.How do I paint over crackle paint?
Sorry man, sounds like you're hosed. Anything with texture cannot be painted over without the texture coming through. You will have to sand the whole wall down, sandblast, or cover it up with wallpaper. Find out the manufacturer of the crackle paint and call or go online to speak to a representative from the company. They might be able to tell you how to fix it. Or talk to a paint guy at Ace Hdwe, Menard's, Home Depot, or Lowe's. Lots of luck!!!
Generally when people want to paint over a crackle finish they want to return it to a smooth paint finish. To achieve this you would have to sand or chemically strip the coating down and then prime and paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment