Thursday, February 11, 2010

How can I refinish a wooden table? Is crackle-paint worth the time it takes to complete it?

I purchased a wooden coffee table for $5 this weekend and I believe it may have been in a child's room as it has a few pen scribbles and some (minor) grooves in the surface. It currently appears to be raw wood. I'd like to make it look at least somewhat aesthetically pleasing. :)





I have not decided whether or not I鈥檇 like to simply stain it or paint it. I am curious to know if any of you have attempted to use crackle paint. If so, please share your method, tips and/or tricks. I believe I have the general procedure jotted down but I was told the paint will remain 鈥榬ough鈥?and possibly rub off onto items placed onto it (i.e. book/magazine). Did you find that to be true?





How long did it take to complete your project?





If I attempt the crackle paint I鈥檒l probably use a black base color (to be seen in the cracks) and a slate blue topcoat.





Thanks for your input!How can I refinish a wooden table? Is crackle-paint worth the time it takes to complete it?
I am fond of polyurethane (clear coat) finishes. You can still stain/pain underneath, but the poly basically gives you a hard 'plastic' surface that's easy to clean and easily repaired if it gets scarred or scratched while at the same time protecting the wood or finish beneath. You can use several coats if you want a thicker finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment