Thursday, February 11, 2010

How do I remove white crackle paint from a red brick fireplace?

Step one is to remove the bulk of the paint.. Use the least toxic stripper that works..





In order of low toxicity to high:





Citristrip


Goof-off


Graffiti remover (Klean strip is one brand)


MEK (Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone)


Methylchloride base strippers





READ ALL package DIRECTION RE: ventilation, skin and eye protection... The last two are doozies and probable carcinogens!How do I remove white crackle paint from a red brick fireplace?
Are you going to repaint or try to get to bare brick. If you are trying for bare brick then I'm afraid that only grit blasting will do it.How do I remove white crackle paint from a red brick fireplace?
Start with a wire brush and elbow grease. If that's not working, try some paint remover in an area that you cant' see. If it works well, use that. I keep seeing ads for that ';ready strip'; stuff on tv. I dunno if it works, but I'd like to try it.
Electric sander with the grittiest sandpaper you can find to start, work your way to a finer grit. Might try some good ole muratic acid.

No comments:

Post a Comment