Thursday, February 11, 2010

Will crackle base designed for acrylic paint work with melamine oil paint?

I bought Debbie Travis's crackle base and a premium quality melamine oil paint to do a crackle effect on my dresser. But once I got the products home, I realized the crackle effect was designed for acrylic paint, not oil paint. It was the only crackle base I could find after searching ten stores. And the oil paint was very expensive and nonrefundable. So I am hoping I can get these two products to cooperate... and crackle!





If anyone knows if it will work fine or if there is something I can do to make melamine oil paint crackle, please let me know!Will crackle base designed for acrylic paint work with melamine oil paint?
Unfortunately, the two types of coatings are incompatible. I have been successful getting the oil based melamine to crackle though. Put a heavy coat on in one direction. Before it cures and dries all of the way, put a second heavy coat on in the opposite direction. Let that dry and as it does, viola, it will crackle because the paint underneath shrinks as it dries. But, for durability, you need to seal if AFTER it is fully cured and you can test this in an inconspicuous place by taking your thumbnail and pressing it into the paint. When it no longer leaves an indentation, you can safely seal it.Will crackle base designed for acrylic paint work with melamine oil paint?
Thank you, I will try the opposite direction trick!

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment